Features of V-SOL GPON ONU
ONU is Optical Network Unit. The ONU works with OLT to implement layer 2 and layer 3 Ethernet functions. The ONU can be connected to various terminals at the same time to provide users with data, voice and multimedia services.
The ONU mainly implements functions: selectively receiving the data sent by OLT, responding to the management commands sent by OLT, buffering the Ethernet data of users, and sending the data in the upstream direction in the sending window allocated by OLT.
The ONU can receive data from OLT and provide various service types for user terminals only after the ONU is successfully added to the OLT and goes online.
ONU usually uses OMCI management.
ONU, sometimes called ONT, contains two types of models, SFU and HGU. SFU is Layer 2 device and HGU is Layer 3 device that also can work on bridge mode.
Process of adding an ONU
1. Add an ONU profile
● Adding an ONU to the OLT needs to bind an ONU profile.
● ONU profile defines the type and the number of ONU ports, and some GPON attributes.
● Usually, we only need to set the parameters marked by the red box. Keep others being the default.
● Fill in the correct values that the ONU supports. If you don’t know how many tcont and gemport the ONU supports, you can use default values. They are enough for all services.
● For SFU (Layer 2), don’t need to set VEIP For HGU (Layer 3), VEIP should be 1.
● If autolearn and plug-and-play functions are enabled – at least two more profiles. DBA profile and traffic profile need to be added. For other profiles, they are optional. We can configure ONU individually without those profiles.
2. Connect ONU to OLT
● Connect ONU to OLT PON port with a splitter Make sure ONU rX power in the proper range (-8~ -27dBm). OLT will not discover ONU or ONU can’t register when ONU rX power is too high or too weak
● The SFP module of OLT PON should be GPON SFP EPON SFP can’t work with GPON devices
3. ONU AutoLearn
● By default. ONU auto-learn function is enabled. In this case, ONU will be added automatically with the default. ONU profile after discovered by the OLT. However. you can change the default ONU profile for auto learn。
● Plug and play function is used to bind profiles automatically. Once the ONU registers to the OLT and goes online the profiles configured in the table will be bond to it. If didn’t configure any profile OLT will configure ONU with default settings
4. ONU AutoBind
● The profiles also can be bonded to ONU based on ONU equipment ID.
● The precondition is that autoleam and Plug and Play is enabled.
● Only the ONU which is added after finished this configuration can be bonded with the profiles based on equipment ID. It means that you should configure autobind rules first then connect ONU to OLT PON port If the ONU has already been in the ONU list. you need to delete it after you finished autobind configuration.
5. ONU AutoFind
● If autolean function is disabled you need to add ONU manually. OLT can discover ONU automatically.
● Click the Detail Info button to check more information about authentication.
● Click Add button to add ONU manually. OLT will fill in the ONU number and other information automatically. However, you can change them.
● Usually, GPON uses GPON SN to authenticate ONU.
6. ONU List
After adding the ONU, you can check the ONU authentication information on the ONU list. It will take few seconds to go online.
In the first column ONU ID. it displays PON port ID and ONU ID. If requires ONU ID on other pages such as ONU upgrade the ONU ID should not contain PON port ID.
7. ONU Manual Add
Besides the previous process of adding an ONU. you can add ONU before connecting it to OLT. Choose the PON port and ONU profile to fill in the authentication information of the ONU. then click Submit button.
The ONU should be connected to the same PON port as you configured.
Querying ONU Status
1. ONU status info
After adding ONU, you can check the ONU detail status on the ONU table. The status contains management status, register status, the time related to registering and deregistering, and also the last deregister.
2. ONU optical info
Querying optical info of all ONU per PON. Only 64 ONUs can be queried at the time
Querying single ONU optical info. please check ONU List => Optical Info.
3. ONU version info
Querying software and hardware version info of all ONU per PON. Only 64 ONUS can be queried at the time
Querying single ONU version info. please check ONU L List => Detail Info.
Querying ONU Info
ONU detail info
Querying more detailed info on an ONU, please check ONU List=>Detail Info.
1. Manual upgrade
● Upload image
● Manual upgrade
– Select the firmware in the list and PON port input ONU ID select upgrade mode.
– There are several steps to upgrade an ONU
Download: download firmware from OLT to ONU.
Activate: activate the firmware just downloaded to the ONU then ONU reboot with the new firmware.
Commit: commit the upgraded firmware so that the ONU will use the new firmware every time it reboots.
– Usually, we upgrade ONU without caring about these steps so we choose mix mode.
– We can upgrade all the same model ONU under one PON port at a time.
● Querying upgrade status
When upgrading, you can query upgrade status. The status showing success or failure indicates the current ONU upgrade process is finished.
After finishing the upgrade, you need to click Abort button to stop the process.
2. Auto upgrade
● Upload image
● Auto upgrade
– Fill ONU equipment ID and the new firmware version, select the firmware that need to upgrade, click Add button to submit auto upgrade. If the ONU current version is not the same as that configured in auto upgrade, OLT will upgrade the ONU.
– If the selected firmware version is not the same as that configured in auto upgrade, OLT will upgrade the ONU again and again.
– Querying auto upgrade status
When upgrading, you can query upgrade status. The stats showing success indicates current ONU upgrade procee has finished.