Due to the covid virus, Andrew's kids have to take online courses at home. They are separated into 3 floors to study in order not to interrupt each other. However, there is only one wireless router，which results in the signals can't reach all floors.
How would you deal with this problem if you were Andrew? Generally, a WiFi booster or WiFi extender may help solve the problem. However, the speed will be low because the data is lost more when the distance increase. Instead, the mesh WiFi network can bring you a better experience.
1. How does a mesh WiFi system work?
With mesh WiFi
, you’ll place several smaller, connected devices around the house. Instead of having one central routing hub linking WiFi signals via radio waves to the modem, you’ll have many access points (also known as satellites) capturing and rebroadcasting the routing signals you need for connectivity.
2. Benefits of the mesh WiFi network
- Greater speed. With all access points broadcasting the same signal, you can cut the lag from having multiple, simultaneous connectivity requests.
- Better coverage. Typical mesh Wi-Fi router devices claim to cover from 4,500 to 6,000 square feet.
- Easy to use. The typical mesh router system is automated and provides a mobile app for easy management, even remotely.
- Integration with other Smart Home devices such as Alexa is often a feature.
- Parental controls are available with certain brands of these router systems.
3. Securing your mesh WiFi
Just same as with traditional Wi-Fi, the security of your Mesh Wi-Fi will depend on your keeping your router devices safe. This means:
① Change the device’s administrative credentials and password from their default settings;
② Set up the devices to automatically check for and install security patch updates;
③ Change the network name to something unique, not something that immediately identifies the network as yours (e.g. if you live at 804 Water Wheel, don’t call your network 804 Water);
④Set up a guest Wi-Fi network allowing visitors to log on instead of providing every guest to your home with your access credentials.
Your email address will not be published.Required fields are marked. *